"Tour Eiffel - traditional views (2003)" La Tour Eiffel - Views Tip by Mikebond

• me - Paris
      me
      Tour Eiffel
    by Mikebond

It's difficult to write a tip on the Tour Eiffel without being banal or repetitive. Why? Well, I think it is because the Tour Eiffel is Paris, or the cohabitation of the ancient with the modern, of stone with steel. Just try to imagine what Paris would look if it hadn't been designated to host the 1889 Universal Exposition, exactly one century after the fury of the revolutionaries destroyed or spoiled many medieval monuments, and if engineer Gustave Eiffel hadn't planned this steel tower, expected to be dismantled at the end of the exhibition. The answer is easy: Paris wouldn't be Paris.
One of the most difficult problems to overcome in European cities is how to reconcile ancient, historical monuments with new buildings. Paris has always found great solutions for that. When the Tour Eiffel was built, Parisians used to call it monstre de fer, "Iron monster", and Gustave Eiffel was accused of spoiling the landscape.
Well, after this "romanticized" introduction, I will start with some traditional photos of the Parisian monument, that is the photos we normally see on books and on TV.

Address: Trocadéro
Directions: Off Quai Branly. In Champ de Mars
Phone: +33 892 70 12 39
Website: http://www.toureiffel.paris/

• Updated Nov 23, 2005

Comments

Mikebond Visits Here Frequently!

Mikebond

“All you need is Europe!”

Have you been to Paris?