"One Morning Walking Tour" Washington D.C. Things to Do Tip by mattreider
Washington D.C. Things to Do: 2,776 reviews and 6,209 photos
It should take about 4 or 5 hours to complete the entire trek.
1. Start at the Smithsonian Metro stop, and come up. You will notice the capital dome on one end. Start walking towards it.
2. The Hirschorn Museum is the big round one on stilts with the fountain inside its donut-like shape. Directly in front of it is the Hirschorn sculpture garden, Feel free to sit down and eat a sandwich -- you're going to need it.
3. This is the Air and Space Museum. Do not go in if you want to complete this walk.
4. Here is the "Capital Dome Photo Op." Get a random stranger to take your photo with the dome in the background.
5. After walking past all the museums, here is the "White House Photo Op."
6. This part is sort of poorly lit, but it is a random little park to the right side of the Lincoln Memorial. For a more direct route, walk directly on the side of the reflecting pool, but do know it will be impossible to avoid all the goose poo.
7. Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Quiet please.
8. Bathrooms are located through the door at the lower left side of the main stairwell. Enjoy. Go up the steps into the Memorial for a grand view of the entire mall area. Go to the back to see Rosslyn, the land that government contracting built.
9. Korean Veterans memorial -- a platoon of large overpacked soldiers Head down the other side of the reflecting pool towards...
10. The WWII Memorial. This grand oval in the earth contains large wreaths and stylized eagles.
11 The Washington Monument.
12. Head back towards the metro. If you need a break, go behind the red smithsonian castle and sit on one of the gooseneck benches. You'll see what I mean.
Address: National Mall
Directions: StA lot of the people I give tours to are out-of-town business associates that have maybe a half a day or an evening to walk around. Since everyone wants to see the Capital, the White House, and maybe a memorial or two, this is the tour.
More Things to Do in Washington D.C. (24)
More Reviews (31)
- See All RFD -- bad name, good place
- See All Bargain in Northern VA
- See All The Tour Boat - DC Style
- Shop in the suburbs...
- See All Taxi!
- The Metro System
mattreider's Related Pages
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels