"New Faces of Hope and Love" Mexico Favorite Tip by Carolyn21

Mexico General: 399 reviews and 315 photos

Mexico Reminder
by Carolyn21

Favorite thing: What I liked most about Mexico is the selfless acts they do for their famililes. The American culture is all consumed with best food flavers, brand name clothing, entertainment, and many other selfish desires...But many of the poor families in Mexico see what is really important in life-their family... I met a family of two little girls and their parents, who were living in a shack smaller then my bedroom with their kitchen and bed. The shack was filled with spiders, wroughting wood, cracks, and no light. It was pitch dark even at noon. The children had no shoes and were playing with spiders. The parents shared with us how the whole family had to fast for almost a week to save enough money to buy a sheet so they could hold the shack together without nails or a hammer. But inspite of their hardships and trials, they were always smiling-because they have what is most important-love, family, and friends.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was when I was volunteering at the soup kitchen. There was little boy about 2 years old, who never talked to anyone-not even the other children. He was covered in dirt and weighed more then a child should at his age. But he was absolutely adorable. Everyday, he'd crawl up on my lap or reached out his arms for me to pick him up. I would pick him up and play with him. A couple days after I had been spending a lot of time with him, he started to talk to me. Unfortunately, it could not be understood.
He was such a precious child. When we had to leave after our two week mission trip. The boy wouldn't let go of me. I kept trying to put him down, but he locked his legs around me and wouldn't let go. Other people had to help me get him down. As soon as he was put on the ground, he reached out his arms and started crying. My heart was breaking as we drove off hearing the children's cries and watching them run after the van...

• Written Nov 4, 2005

“"Look for new opportunities to gain wisdom, as you step into new cultures."”

Ranked Member