"Hold Classic Guitars at the Hard Rock Cafe's Vault" Music Tip by AKtravelers

Music, London: 24 reviews and 33 photos

I can't get no satisfaction, but that's okay
by AKtravelers

London's Hard Rock Cafe is the original outpost of this world-wide franchise, founded in 1971 in homage to English rockers like the Stones, the Who, Led Zepplin and, of course, the Beatles. That alone would make getting a beer there a priority. But even more important is the chance to visit the Hard Rock Cafe's vault, where they exhibit a small. but priceless, display of rock memorabilia. And, if you're nice to the strung-out but knowledgeable guide, he'll turn off the alarms and let you hold some of the guitars. I got to hold those of Keith Richard and my friend Tim got to hold a Jimi Hendrix. That this is possible is not in any guide book that I know of.
The vault is not in the main Hard Rock Cafe, but in the merchandise store across the street. The guide, having a rough day, asked if we'd wait while he caught up on his nicotine consumption, but then took a small group on a detailed tour of the paraphenalia in the basement -- Bo Diddley's box guitar, Elvis Presley's karate suit (did you know he was a black belt?), a Mao jacket belonging to the clash, Kurt Cobain's guitar, etc. Soon our discussion turned to one of my favorite bands, AC/DC, which prompted him to introduce the group to a CD of Hayseed Dixie. As this drove the other people from the room, leaving me and Tim, I asked him if I could have a picture of me holding Keith Richards' guitar from the "Sticky Fingers" album days. Alone, he obliged and before you know it we were taking pictures. By the way, the guy is a tipped employee, so please renumerate him if you think the tour was worth it -- as most rock music fans will!

Directions: Near Hyde Park Corner and Wellington Arch, at the corner of Piccadilly and Old Park

• Updated Nov 4, 2005

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to London?