"City Sightseeing" City Sightseeing Hop-On Bus Tip by Marpessa

The River Arno
by Marpessa

While in Firenze I took the City Sightseeing ?hop on/hop off? bus tour. I bought a 24hr ticket and felt that it was a great way to see Firenze.

Unfortunately there were a few problems with the first bus I hoped on, after about 5 minutes on the bus the commentary (available in Italian, English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese and Portuguese ? through personal headphones) stopped working. No matter, we were given the option to stay on the bus, or we could just jump off and get on the next one (which is about every 30 minutes). But I stayed on ? which ended up being a good choice, because my friends and I decided to jump off a bit later when we got to Piazzale Michelangelo (on a hill overlooking the city of Firenze) we got to watch a storm pass over the city. There was rain, thunder and even a bit of lightning. My friends and I sat under cover eating lunch (hot dogs and pizza from a street vendor) ? it was pretty nice.

But back to the tour. The buses are comfortable, with an option of sitting downstairs or upstairs (no roof), plus you get a free map of Firenze as well. There are two different routes, both go through the main parts of the city (for more details of the routes ? check out the website below) ? but one goes up to Piazzale Michelangelo and the other out to the Stadium and up to Fiesole.

It is a good tour ? and I definitely recommend it.

Adult: 20?
Children (5-15): 10?

Tickets are valid for both tours.

Address: S.M. Novella Station., Italy S.M.
Phone: 39 055 290 451
Website: http://www.city-sightseeing.com

• Updated Nov 2, 2005

“Brave New World”

Have you been to Florence?