"Royal Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaney House of Art & Knowledge Tip by planxty

Royal museum, Canterbury, Kent, England.
by planxty

This is a combined museum and art gallery on the upper floor of a rather magnificent building which serves on the ground floor as the City Library. The majority of the exhibits are paintings and ceramics. there is a particularly fine collection of paintings by T.S. Cooper, said to be the finest ever painter of cattle, of all things. OK if you like paintings of cattle, but it wasn't really my thing. some of the old portraits of local worthies are pleasant, though. On the art gallery side, when I visited there was an exhibition by Kurt Jackson, billed as Cornwall's best known living artist. Again, not really to my taste but apparently all the exhibits are for sale ranging from 1500 to 50000, if you have that kind of money!

The Buffs Museum is in the same building (see seperate tip).

Admission is free, open 1000 - 1700 Monday to Saturday. Unfortunately, there is no wheelchair access.

Update August 2013.

Whilst updating some of my other tips recently, I noticed that this tip had become seriously out of date. I have now amended the details (website etc.) I should stress that this tip was written in 2005, shortly after I joined VT and stands as is. I hope I have included all the relevant current information now but travel writing is, inherently, out of date as soon as you submit it.

Here are the current details, or at least where to find them. Aparently the government has abnegated it's responsibilities and the website is now a website finishing in .co.uk indicating commercial interest. You can check the attached, up to date, website for details of opening times, prices etc.

Address: High Street, Canterbury, Kent.
Directions: Walk up the main street from Westgate, and it is the very imposing building on the left.
Phone: +00 44 (0)1227 452747
Website: http://www.canterbury.co.uk/Beaney/About-the-beaney.aspx

• Updated Aug 23, 2013

Comments

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Canterbury?