"The Long Terminal 3 Walk" Getting around Tip by AkiSan

Getting around, London: 128 reviews and 150 photos

Favorite thing: The layout of Heathrow airport is huge. If you're used to US airports like LAX, McCarran and SFO like I am, then Heathrow will give you a workout. The most important thing I can say is to get a free luggage cart the first time you see one and put all your luggage on it, trust me, even if you have luggage with wheels, you will want the cart!

This goes for arrivals and departures as the walk can be long both ways.

Why do I care? When we flew to Heathrow last week from LAX, it was less than 500 feet from the LAX ticket counter to the security checkpoint, and then less than 300 feet to the gate from security. I'd say that from deplaning at Heathrow to getting to the Heathrow Express, it was a good 1/2 mile...

Don't wear yourself out just getting out of the airport, the carts are free and are there for a reason! Just be carefull on some of the floor areas as they can be slippery and slanted - it can make navigating the cart a bit tricky.

• Updated Oct 29, 2005

“You always think you have time to travel...until someone runs a light and totals your car...travel now, travel often!”

Have you been to London?