"Golden House" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 537 reviews and 1,498 photos
It's a must see for every fan of renaissance and Flamish Mannerism. The renaissance Golden House is regarded the greatest house in the old town. I am not sure, the competition is major.
The white front facade is the masterpiece of Flamish Mannerism. It's said that the house was transported part by part on Dutch ships. In fact, the edifice was designed by Abraham van den Blocke and built on place in 1609 - 1617. Numerous statues, sculptures and frescos have been made of Gotland sandstone by Jan Voigt. I've found stone faces and heads of many historical rulers, leaders and heroes from the ancient times till 17th century. You may try to guess who is who although it's a very difficult tusk. The red-tiled roof is hidden behind balustrade with sculpures of Cleopatra, Oedipus, Achilles and Antigone.
Address: Dlugi Targ 41, Gdansk
Directions: Walk westwards the main pedestrian street of Gdansk, Dluga, to the longitudinal square called the Long Market (Dlugi Targ). The house is on your left. About 25 min. on foot from the Main Railway Station (Gdansk Glowny).
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels