Hotel Real Caribe: "my place" Top 5 Page for this destination Veracruz Hotel Tip by alza

Veracruz Hotels: 9 reviews and 4 photos

by the window
by alza

I rented by the month, it was slightly more than I wanted to pay but I wanted to be in Centro and get to speak Spanish as much as possible. This so I could leave for South America as soon as I was proficient enough. It all worked out very well.
It took lots of effort and patience on my part to make my 2-room place livable but I really got to like it there and was a bit sorry to leave on 30 October, to get back to Oaxaca and start my long trip south.

Since there is no hostel in Veracruz, I guess I might recommend the Real Caribe for a short stay. I was in what the Manager called The Penthouse, had a huge terrace to myself on top of the room etc. But I only enjoyed it cuz I had it cleaned, then cleaned it my way, and fixed it up a bit. Rooms on the 2nd Floor were all too small and neglected for my taste. They have balconies though, on the noisiest intersection for polluting city buses in town. Be warned. I tried to learn Spanish by listening to the TV but I only managed to improve my lip-reading. Too bad, I had full cable and was amazed at how interesting TV is when there is no computer in the room.

Unique Qualities: Location location location! Great view on the Gulf of Mexico and on the city.

Another outstanding characteristic of my room was the face-cloth-size sink in the bathroom. The faucet was too short nevertheless, and set too far back, so the best way to wash my hands was to rub them along the sink wall where the drops slowly fell.

Address: Avenida 16 de septiembre No. 577 (esquina Victimas), Centro Veracruz, VER. 91700 Mexico
Comparison: about average
Directions: Near the Malecon and the Grand Hotel Mar y Tierra.
othercontact: Don?t call during siesta
Phone: (229)931-16-42
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel

• Updated Nov 24, 2005

Comments

alza Used To Live Here!

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”

Have you been to Veracruz?