"Medina madness" Tunisia Tourist Trap Tip by Marla_D

Tunisia Tourist Traps: 97 reviews and 58 photos

Maybe it was just our poor haggling skills but we did get ripped off here. We ended up paying 40 Dinar for something worth around 10. The guy had started by saying it cost 100 Dinar. In the end though we were glad to pay and just to get out of the shop. They are very persuasive!! If you seem even remotely interested in something they will tell you to come inside to look at more stuff and once you do that you may as well just hand over your wallet!
My boyfriend was interested in a watch and one guy was trying to get him to buy by not letting him out of the shop while his friend kept me talking outside and wouldn't let me into the shop!

Unique Suggestions: Keep walking and don't shake hands with anyone or they will try drag you into their shop.
Just smile and say no, they are actually nice people : )
I guess haggling can be fun if you actually know how much the things are worth, we should have been more prepared!
It's interesting to see all the locals going about their daily business, the sights, sounds and smells and very different to what I was used to.

Fun Alternatives: There are one or two fixed price shops in the medina which are much cheaper than the supermarkets and shops in the resorts etc.

• Written Oct 23, 2005

Have you been to Tunisia?