"This is just the gate!" Top 5 Page for this destination Christ Church Gate Tip by planxty

Christ Church Gate, Canterbury: 8 reviews and 14 photos

Christ Church Gate, Canterbury, Kent, England.
by planxty

Before you ever get to view the Cathedral in all it's splendour, you have to go through the gate into the Precincts. But what a gate! It is a magnificent structure in it's own right, and well worthy of attention.

Although details of the construction are not entirely clear, it is believed to have been completed in about 1517 as a memorial tribute to Arthur, Prince of Wales who was the eldest son of Henry VII, and therefore brother to the future Henry VIII..

Update August 2013.

In the interests of fair reporting, I should state that I first posted this tip in 2005, shortly after I joined VT. I re-visited it today to amend a broken hyperlink and found out that much has happened to this historic gateway since I wrote it.

In December 2011 the gates were removed for much needed renovation as they were showing the effects of over three centuries exposed to the elements. They were replaced with temporary facsimile gates whilst the work was carried out. I suppose this just goes to show how difficult it is to keep VT tips up to date. Hopefully this tip is now current and the new hyperlink, which provides an excellent history of the gate, is working.

Address: Burgate, Canterbury.
Phone: +00 44 (0)1227 762862
Website: http://www.canterbury-archaeology.org.uk/#/ccgate/4557747658

• Updated Aug 24, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Yes, the link now works fine.

• planxty's Profile Photo
      May 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Thanks mate, it is nearly impossible to keep all the links on all my tips current. If you ever find any more broken ones, please send me a one liner and I'll amend them. Thanks again.

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Canterbury?