"Harlem" Harlem Tip by davequ

Mural on North side of 125 st @ Lenox Ave
      Mobay - Carib bbq & good music
      Delicious sweet potatoe pie-Wimps @ 29 W 125th st
    by davequ

So much history and still much character (despite the gentrification)
in one of my favorite parts of town.

Lots of street art, music & good food. Even if you are staying in the city for a few days, Harlem is definitely worth at the least a day / night visit.

Yummy / unique street eats (stop in @ Wimps for some sweet potatoe pie!) everywhere I went.

Great street scenes during the day, I thought the people were very friendly & helpful,
and the club / music action at night is outstanding.
Harlem at the very least is an excellent place to walk around & hang out.

In the afternoon I got hungry and stopped in at Manna's on 125th St / Martin Luther King for some soul food buffet.

After filling my plate with my faves I saw a man sitting at a table with a guitar case in the corner.
He said it was ok to sit down and after mentioning I used to play and finding he still plays around town we struck up a long conversation.

Turns out he's a monster blues guitar player.
Michael Powers plays all over NYC, especially at Terra Blues on Bleecker St in Greenwich Village.

We had some things in common musically as far as tastes, people we both had played with in the past, etc. so we had a good fun conversation and I'm glad I met Michael.

One night later that week I went down to Terra Blues with my old drummer to see Michael, and sure as *** he burned the house down.

A lucky lucky day in Harlem.

Address: Harlem, New York, NY
Directions: Take the A train Uptown & jump off at 125 Street / Saint Nicholas Avenue
Phone: 9562904512
Website: http://nymag.com/realestate/articles/neighborhoods/harlem.htm

• Updated Oct 24, 2008

Comments

davequ Visits Here Frequently!

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Have you been to New York City?