Chai Pani (may be closed at present): "Rajasthani Food" Chai Pani - CLOSED Tip by Janani

Chai Pani - CLOSED, London: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Chai Pani
      Chai Pani
  • ajwain - London
    by Janani

I noticed this restaurant not long after it opened and was keen to try the Rajasthani cooking it advertised, as I sponsor a child living in the state and wondered what the region?s food would be like.

The ground floor, where we ate, has a cosy feel to it with simple, white painted walls decorated with brightly coloured Rajasthani crafts. It is quite small but has not been overcrowded with tables and I was quite disappointed to be seated immediately at a table because the waiting area, with its colourful, low cushioned seats and books on the region, looked so welcoming. Downstairs in the basement, there is a small gift shop where you can buy decorative items from Rajasthan.

The people serving the food were helpful, well organised and calm and although our order arrived swiftly, the whole place had a relaxed unhurried atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The food is all vegetarian. To start, we shared some tasty samosas and were glad we hadn?t ordered two portions, as they left us feeling quite full. As a main course, I ordered a dry potato dish with red chillies and some wonderful ajwain flavoured puris and my friend ordered a dish of lentil balls in a spicy yoghurt sauce accompanied by rice. The portions were huge; even having shared a starter, neither of us could manage to finish what we had ordered. The dishes we chose were quite heavy and we both agreed that, had the portions been smaller, a dish of green vegetables would have balanced the meal. We also enjoyed the sweet lime soda and mango juice we had ordered to drink but didn?t manage to investigate the dessert menu.

Address: 64 Seymour Street, London. W1H 5BW
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From Marble Arch, enter Edgeware Rd, from where you'll easily see Chai Pani on Seymour Street, which is the first road to the right.
Phone: 020 7258 2000