"Spanish Steps and Piazza di Spagna" Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna Tip by Marpessa

Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna, Rome: 307 reviews and 498 photos

Not so great advertising above the Spanish Steps
      Not so great advertising above the Spanish Steps
      People hanging around La Barcaccia
    by Marpessa

To be honest I was a little unimpressed by the Spanish Steps. The piazza was nice, the fountain beautiful, masses of people shopping and sightseeing... I even did the tourist thing and had a picture taken of my friend and I sitting on the steps, but it was still a bit disappointing.

I think the main reason for this, was that when I was at the foot of the steps, looking up at the Trinita dei Monti, it had a huge advertisement for 'Nike' on it - which really ruined it. Plus I had seen pictures of the steps, with beautiful green plants and colourful flowers on it - but there were none there when I went. It was still cool to be there on the Spanish Steps - but like I said, a little disappointing as well.

This piazza was named after the Spanish, because this is where the Spanish embassy was in the 17th Century. The square is very nice and picturesque with a fountain just in front of the Spanish Steps. The fountain is called 'Barcaccia', which means 'the boat' and was designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in the early 17th Century (This was to commemorate a flood of the Tiber that had reached up to this area in 1598).

If you love shops like Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Fendi, Armani, Versace and Bulgari - then head straight to Piazza di Spagna as they are all in the immediate area! Just remember that this is high-fashion, so there are also extremely (and ridiculously) high prices!

Address: Piazza di Spagna