"Men" Milan Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Marpessa

Milan Warnings and Dangers: 104 reviews and 48 photos

More of a warning than a danger. One thing I have to remember when I travel is that I am going to places where cultures are different and therefore people may act in different manners (neither good nor bad - just different).

While walking around Milan during the day I was approached at least 6 times by men, of all ages: 16-60, in a very 'friendly' manner. The majority of this happened while I was enjoying the beauty of Parco Sempione. I had one kid who would have been about 16, ask me for directions to somewhere, then ask if I was alone (I said no), if I had a boyfriend (I didn't, but I said yes), then he asked me where my boyfriend was! (I just pointed back up to the path where there was a snack bar). Later a guy about my own age (good looking) sat next to me on the grass, but he didn't speak english and I couldn't speak (enough) Italian. Although I did understand when he stared at my breasts and said 'bene'!

But what unnerved me the most was when I was walking down a street (alone and it was empty - middle of the day) and a guy walked out of his hotel - saw me and started to try to talk to me and put his hands on my shoulders.

For the majority of my time in Italy I had no problem with men - but just, this day, was not my day and I felt uncomfortable - not used to this kind of attention.

So, girls, women. If you do get unwanted attention, try not to be rude, but don't give any encouragement and just keep on your way (or act busy).

• Updated Oct 30, 2005

Comments

Marpessa

“Brave New World”