"The lake Journey" Prefegitura ya Gisenyi Off The Beaten Path Tip by nsbm

Isle on Kivu
      seaworthy pirogue!!
      beach on an isle stop
    by nsbm

Starting from Gisenyi i vetntured out with the pirouge owner who claimed to be a national swim champ for Rwanda and his younger boatswain. The water was not as calm as i expected but the craft made good speed. First stopping at a fishermans isle in the lake the traditional boeat and net tackles were seen. the next stop was half way thru the journey at some larger islands. The local kids came out to meet the 'muzungu' = whiteman ; in my case foreigner. I tended to one with a sore on his foot as i had some first aid stuff. From that moment i was revered by all. His father offered me bananas for a routine simple medical manouvere that would have beeen otherwise unattainable ,save only in Goma across the border. The warmth and appreciation made me thankful for my hippocratic oath.
The journey because of a minor fault in the boat took 7hours!!!!!!!! otherwise it would have been two. Check yor boats seaworthiness before embarkation. Starngely the day before a ferry had sunk on the same lake across in Goma drowning several hundreds...be warned. Anyways I had nothing else to do on my iteniary and this in itself was my adventure, I saw the sun set and the moon rise on entering Kibuye Bay.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

nsbm

“go go gone”

Have you been to Prefegitura ya Gisenyi?