"The Rhine at Worms" Germany Things to Do Tip by Fabriano

Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos

The Rhine
by Fabriano

Next I went to Worms, the town where Luther stood up for his ideas, challenging Emperor Carl the Fifth's power in 1520.

The episode of the Diet of Worms has remained famous ever since, as famous as Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Adress in US History, the Assault on the Bastille fortress in France or Garibaldi's landing in Sicily in Italy, the 1830 uprising against the Dutch occupation in Belgium, etc... (just take any famous episode from your homeland's history, see what I mean ?).

I first enjoyed the Romanic Church with its baroque altarpiece. Afterwards I had a walk to the Rhine.

It flows about 500 m / 600 yards away from the center of the town. I like large rivers. The flowing water is a picture of time going by.

I grew up in a town located on the Loire, France's longest river (I should say : France's ONLY long river).

It was cute : I sometimes went to the shore of the river and just watched the flow for a couple of hours. Today, seeing the Rhine, I felt the nice/disturbing sensation of getting drowned into the water once again. I feel like diving into the water to just make one with it.

One of the things I reproach Paris with is that the Seine is too small. There's no feeling of greatness about it.

Many boats sail up and down the river carrying goods. The Rhine is a kind of sailing freeway between the harbor of Rotterdam and the Ruhr and Basel (CH). Boats are less polluting and noisy than trucks, so seeing those I think : "good thing".

Afterwards I hurried to the station and took an RE train to Mayence.

• Updated Feb 1, 2007

“Mc Donald's, c'est tout ce que j'aime”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Germany?