"The Ferry from the Camargue to Marseille" France Things to Do Tip by sim1

France Things to Do: 1,479 reviews and 1,983 photos

The ferry from Camargue to Marseille
by sim1

If you follow the route through the Camargue that I took, you will have to take the ferry to cross over from the Camargue towards Marseille, as the road to Salin de Giraud is a dead end. From Arles to the south there is a canal, but there are no bridges at all. So the only way to get to the other side of the water is to drive all the way back to Arles and cross the bridge there, or do as I did, take the ferry. I was a bit worried on my way here if the ferry would go or not. It was late in the year and I was afraid the ferry wouldn?t go anymore after the summer season. But that was not the case. The ferry goes whole year round on a very regular basis. It only costs a few Euro, so it beats driving all the way back to Arles.

The last bit of the drive from the Camargue to the ferry was a bit of an adventure though. There was a bicycle event going on, and of course we got stuck in the middle of it, argggh! On the route of the bicycle race there were several ?resting points? were the tired bicyclists could get free water and oranges. Hmmm? that sounds good, for the bicyclists? but not when you are in a car on this road!

It?s only a small road and the whole road from left to right was filled with bicycles and people in colourful bicycle outfit, holding there bottle of water and eating the oranges and taking a rest. Hahaha it is a colourful sight to see, the orange dots of the fruit everywhere, but some of the bicyclists weren?t so pleased with a car in their midst. The only way to get through them was driving very very slowly, watching out for angry bicyclists that thought they owned the road. I wish I had taken a picture here, because it was such a funny sight. But maybe its better I didn?t, hahaha, the bikers didn?t look so pleased already, I wonder how they would have reacted if I pointed a camera at them ;-)

• Written Oct 10, 2005