VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Chapel Miraculous Medal" Chapelle Notre Dame de la Médaille Miraculeuse Tip by davequ

I read about this place in a "Paris Confidential" book, and as an estranged / prodigal catholic I chose to hunt down the Chapel Miraculous on rue du Bac in 7th.

It was worth the trip.
Around 2:30 in the afternoon the faithful line up outside the small wooden door at 140 rue du Bac to acknowledge the alleged vision of Catherine Laboure, a French nun who purportedly received a message/vision from the Blessed Virgin, but more so to pay homage and offer prayers for intercession to Mary.

The "cloister" / chapel is beautiful and I don't think it matters whether you are among the faithful or not: this little chapel is in my opinion worth squeezing into a Paris veterans itinerary.

The nuns were actually very cordial & funny, laughing through poorly and humbly attended teeth (per vows of humility that eschew vanity) at my miserable french.

" Bon apres midi ma soeur "

For what it's worth, I now wear one of Catherines medals on the chain around my neck that also holds my other medal from the Sacre Coeur. To each his own I suppose

ps... I foolishly thought I had one on Anthony, but after checking his site again after writing this, I was reminded I am full of it as usual.

Address: 140 rue du Bac 75007
Directions: Next to Bon Marché. Metro Sevres Babylone lignes 10,12
Phone: +33 1 49 54 78 88
Website: http://www.chapellenotredamedelamedaillemiraculeuse.com/

• Updated Mar 2, 2006

Comments

davequ

“♫♫ ... "What this world needs is a good $2 room and a good $2 broom" ... ♫♫ © Don Van Vliet”

Have you been to Paris?