Hotel Aeropuerto: "Hotel Aeropuerto - Nearby with Lower Rates" San José Hotel Tip by Jase1177

San José Hotels: 7 reviews and 4 photos

In most discussions or readings, most people visiting Costa Rica spend very little time in San Jose. Many use San Jose simply because of the airport to arrive & depart, and often just need a place to stay for a night or two. This was my case; I needed a place to stay the night I arrived (9.30PM arrival) & the night before I departed (7AM). In searching the hotels nearest the airport, I noted that most of the rates were averaging $100+ per night. Somehow I came across the Hotel Aeropuerto, which had rates at $60/night (off-season)and was only 4km away from the airport, plus had free transport.

The hotel is situated on a large estate of land with lush gardens with an open-air lobby. The rooms are a little dim and worn, with standard facilities. Although it was not the sparkling, overly sterile facilities many are use to (or at least expect), things were clean and sufficient. This met my needs of a less expensive place to crash for a night each way, while being relatively close to the airport. Be aware that there is nothing really within walking distance in the way of food (restaurant on premises) or shopping; so, you will need a taxi or other transport if you plan to stay long.

If you do choose this hotel (or most others), the airport transport is actually just a taxi that the hotel will pay. Just tell the taxi drivers (actually there are taxi assistants helping you the moment you walk out) what airport and they will ask if the hotel is paying. When they drop you off, they will go to the desk to be paid.

Unique Qualities: I think the best thing about this place is the helpful staff. The woman at the desk (Gemma) when I was there both times was unbelieveably nice and helpful. When I had a transport coming to pick me up (for my bungee jump), she spoke with them on the phone to see if they were running late; when I needed to go to another hotel after I checked out to catch my shuttle out of town, she called the taxi and had her hotel pay [I wasn't really suppose to let anyone else around know ;-) ]; then she even gave me tips on what to see in downtown San Jose and arranged for the taxi to drop me off and pick me up so that I didn't need to worry. It was just really pleasant how helpful and sweet the staff was.

Overall, I was pleased with this hotel and my stay here. It may not be overly beautiful and opulent, but it was a good, less expensive place to stay for a couple nights near the airport.

Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Alajuela: 4km south of the Juan Santamaria Airport
Phone: (506) 433-7333
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hotelaeropuerto-cr.com/default.htm

• Written Oct 4, 2005

Comments

Jase1177

“Do you want stamps in your passport or impressions on your mind?”

Have you been to San José?