"Shopping in the Shadow of History" Souvenirs Tip by starship

Souvenirs, Tallinn: 10 reviews and 21 photos

Finding St. Catherine's Passage was not planned but a seredipitous circumstance. In fact, I didn't even know it's name until after visiting it on one of the few sunny days of our trip around the Baltic.

The narrow, stone alleyway known as St. Catherine's Passage turns out to be one of the main tourist attractions in Old Tallinn. It connects Vene and Müürivahe Streets and runs along what remains of St. Catherine's Church. These days the passage is particularly interesting and a draw for tourists because it is home to the St. Catherine's Guild where a collection of artists' craft workshops nestle in 15th - 17th century rooms there along the passage. Here artists work on their crafts and sell their creations.

Some artists produce glassware, hats, quilts, ceramics, jewelry hand-painted silk and other wares. I remember seeing paintings and hand-knitting clothing. However, I purchased several small water-color prints of scenes from around Old Town Tallinn which came matted and framed for the equivalent total of about US $12. There are still some of my favorite remembrances of our trip. Although the artist did not speak much English, I was very aware of how much she appreciated my purchase.

This cobblestone passageway was an atmospheric and picturesque link between the medieval and present day Tallinn and a very memorable place.

What to buy: The items I remember most seeing in Old Tallinn were charming, hand-knitted or crocheted sweaters and caps for babies and children, wooden items, and paintings although there were many souvenirs shops with lots of the traditional items found everywhere. If our children were small, I would have definitely bought some of the handmade children's winter clothing. Even though those items were not as inexpensive as you might think, they would have been worth the money.

Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Mar 20, 2014

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Tallinn?