"Naval Heritage Center" Navy Memorial & Naval Heritage Center Tip by kymbanm

A happy homecoming

A happy homecoming
      Window to commemorate submariners
    by kymbanm

This little place is right next to the Naval Memorial, and is a small museum dedicated to the history of the Navy and Navy life. I loved the statue that greeted my entry into the building .... it reminded me so much of my Father's homecomings when I was growing up :)

There is a wonderful thing call the Log Book - you can search the database for former and present members of the Navy - and it includes their pictures and significant duty stations. The bad thing is that one must enroll, it isn't automatic. Despite not having my dad in the log, I still enjoyed looking up other folks I remember from waaay back then :) I did pick up the info I needed to get my dad into the log before his 70th birthday!

This little detour is a nice little place to learn more about the heritage of the US Navy - not just campaigns.

Address: 701 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W
Directions: Right across from the National Archives on Pennsylvania Ave. The Metro's Green and Yellow Line stops at Archives-Navy Memorial - you exit the station right next to the memorial itself.
Phone: +1 202-737-2300
Website: http://www.lonesailor.org/location.php

• Written Oct 1, 2005

Comments

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?