"The VIEW!!!" Old Post Office Building - Pavilion Tip by kymbanm

View toward the Capitol

View toward the Capitol
      Here it is - Finally!
    by kymbanm
      Do you see how I got lost now? It's a MAZE!
      The famous bells
    by kymbanm
      View of Washington Mon. to Lincoln Mem.
    by kymbanm

I had read about the Old Post Office Pavilion on another VT page, and had already decided that I wanted to go and experience this wonderful place. Unfortunately, I lost my DIY guide and couldn't remember the name! My hotel concierge had no idea what I was talking about .... but after reviewing a tourist map, I recognized the name and headed out to make this my first stop on my first day in DC.

I took the metro to the Federal Triangle stop and rode the escalator up to the surface. I noticed some street art and began to wander .... and promptly got lost. I was distracted by art, people watching, and all the law enforcement uniforms and secret service agents in attendance. I entered one of the Federal buildings, got scanned, and kept walking. I was quite turned around. After eating in the underground foodcourt, I wandered somemore in this maze of buildings .... I ended up being redirected when I tried to enter the Herbert Hoover / FBI Building by way of the underground tunnel.... ooopsie ;)

If I had just made 2 right turns, or 2 left turns, I would have SEEN the Old Post Office when I got out of the Metro!!! Well marked, and quite pretty, I then wandered (with a full tummy) into this place I had only heard about. I followed the signs through the little indoor mall, and took the elevator up to the tower.

Wow! The views really were spectacular! I was the only person up there ...... the breeze was refreshing and I had a blast just taking photos. There is also a museum of the history of this building and the fight to save it from destruction. You can also go into the bell tower and visit the bells presented to the US by the Duchey of Britain.

Being so close to the White House, the National Mall, and the National Archives ...... this is definitely NOT out of the way - but is a little visited, wonderful place to check out ;)

Address: 1100 Pennsylvannia Avenue
Directions: Metro Station: Federal Triangle
Phone: (202) 289-4224
Website: http://www.oldpostofficedc.com

• Updated Jan 24, 2006

Comments

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?