"Meet my daughter/sister" Bangkok Tourist Trap Tip by Splint

Bangkok Tourist Traps: 356 reviews and 183 photos

This is a fairly common scam which is active in many parts of South East Asia, you will be approached by someone in the street who may even be posing as a tourist. They, in a friendly manor will ask you some question about where you are from, what your job is and then they will tell you that their daughter or sister is going to study at a university or is moving to your city to work and knows nothing about the place. They will socialise some more to gain your friendship and confidence and then ask you if you could meet their daughter/sister to tell them about your country. Do not agree to meet the girl, I did and they took me out to the suburbs of Bangkok to a persons place and strangely the girl was off shopping, if there really ever was a girl. They cooked me up a lovely lunch and tried all too hard to make me feel like a close friend. One by one they all used lame excuses to leave the table until there was only me and one other man at the table, who started to tell me that he was going to retire within the next five years and that he was short of cash and needed someone to help in a gambling scam on the cruise ship where he worked. I promptly declined and shortly after they put me back in a taxi to where I came from. I never found out exactly how the scam worked but I am very suspicious that I would have been the victim , not the cruise ship and not other players. Just be wary of anyone who appears to be trying too hard to help you or to divert you off your plan of activities, that should eliminate 90% of con mens attempts to take advantage of you.

• Written Sep 27, 2005

More Tourist Traps in Bangkok (1)

Comments

Have you been to Bangkok?