"The oldest parish church (14th c.)" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 539 reviews and 1,503 photos
The St. Catherine's church is a must see for many reasons: architecture, history, views from the observation deck on the top of its tower and museum of old clocks. Warning: It took me almost one hour to visit all attractions of the church.
The 14th century brick church is the oldest parish church in Gdansk, Roman catholic till 1555, then protestant (till 1945 when it was burnt to the ground by Soviet troops). Now, it's rebuilt and renovated Roman catholic church run by the Carmelites. I paid attention to the 76 m high church tower which looks a bit too karge at the gothic base and is topped by early baroque, decorative cupola. The backside of the church looks unique. It consists of three gothic but different in style back walls of the three naves.
Address: Ul. Rajska, 80-850 Gdañsk
Directions: In southern part of the Old Town, close to the Main Town and the Great Mill - 15 min. walk from the Main Railway Station (Gdansk Glowny).
Phone: +48 (58) 305 64 92
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels