"Old Town Hall" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 537 reviews and 1,498 photos
This 16th century, brick edifice is great example of Dutch renaissance. Its portal was under renovation in August 2005. The style is rather simple and practical for the office it housed in the past. The building, unlike most others around, survived WWII because it served as the headquarrters of the Soviet Army. In the past Polish astronomer and city councillor, Jan Hevelius, had his offices there.
There are a cellar restaurant, the Baltic Cultural Centre and temporarily expositions inside now. The interiors are worth seeing, especially the large Council Hall, the small Mayor Room on the second fllor and baroque wooden stairs. Admission is free daily at 10.00 am - 6.00 pm unless any cultural or other events take place inside.
Address: Ul. Korzenna 33/35; Gdansk
Directions: In the Old Town, by the Canal of Radunia, behind the Church of St. Joseph, 5 - 10 min. on foot from the main railway Station (Gdansk Glowny).
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels