"Sauna anyone?" Alesjaure Things to Do Tip by sim1

Alesjaure Things to Do: 19 reviews and 26 photos

The sauna at Alesjaure
by sim1

On the way back to the Mountain Hut we found a nice big stone to sit on and relax. From here we had some great views over the landscape and also towards the Mountain Hut and its sauna. Hahaha, we actually had 'front row seat' to see some fun sauna behavior, looool :-) In the picture you can see the sauna (bastu) of Alesjaure, we sat on the right side of it, across the river.

The sauna here is a quite popular and maybe even a 'must do'.... oops, I didn't, hahaha, but I wanted to! Maybe next time :-))..... After having sweated it out for a while inside the sauna it is time to cool off in the freezing waters of the river below (that's the icy blue water you see on the right side of the picture). The way to get there is to take the many steps down the hill and they just jump into the freezing water. The sauna costs 50 SEK to use and the bathing is for free :-)) The front row seats we had costs about 100 SEK, hahaha, that was what we were told jokingly anyway when we got back to the Mountain Hut, loooool :-) Unfortunately we didn't have any brave bathers when we were sitting there watching. They didn't get any deeper into the water than up to their ankles.... A thing I can understand. But heeej... if you do the sauna-thing, do take that dip in the water too! It's part of the whole experience :-))

It is said that the sauna in Alesjaure is rather good. It's a mixed sauna and it opens up I think around 5 in the afternoon. If you are an early visitor to the Mountain Hut they might fire up the sauna a bit earlier for you.

• Updated Nov 20, 2005

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Alesjaure?