"a pilgrim on the way to Santiago de Compostela" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Off The Beaten Path Tip by globetrott
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Off The Beaten Path: 42 reviews and 135 photos
Speyer was at all times an important place to visit for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela in Portugal. Such Jakobs-Pilgrimage became quite popular again recently and many people still walk the traditional Jakob's roads through Europe, passing by the most important catholic churches. Mostly these places also offer some really cheap places to spend the night, when they ask for it at the church-office. ( I am rather sure, it will not be possible to sleep there for ordinary backpackers)
In Maximilianstrasse - between the cathedral and the Altpörtel - you may see this sculpture of a giant Jakobs-pilgrim, dressed in the traditional clothings & walking with the pilgrim-stick.
Don't forget to take a look for the lovely church of the Holy trinity, just about 100 meters to the left from this monument !
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
More Off The Beaten Path in Land Rheinland-Pfalz (18)
More Reviews (83)
- Frankfurt/Hahn - in the middle of...
- Some links for your vacation in the...
- See All Ruedesheim - Drosselgasse
- Cruising the Rhine in the Moonlight
- See All dining where the mintmasters used to...
- See All along the river Mosel / Moselle
- trains in the Rhine-valley are terrible...
- See All Wilhelmsbau - a great museum in Speyer
- Cycling along the river Rhein / Rhine
- See All Biking along the river Mosel / Moselle
- See All A great shop inside the Speyer Technik...
Been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share your travels with the world!
globetrott's Related Pages
Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share Your Travels