"Reagatta Races" Top 5 Page for this destination Festivals Tip by sandysmith
Festivals, Venice: 19 reviews and 60 photos
1. First is the regatta for the very young on the 'pupparini' boats, with two oars.
2. Second is the regatta for the women on the 'mascarete' boats, with two oars.
3. Third is the regatta for men on 'caorline' boats, with six oars.
4. Fourth is the regatta for champions on 'gondolini' boats, with two oars.
The races start from 'Giardini della Biennale'. They cross the basin of Saint Mark's, then enter the Grand Canal. They row all along the canal as far as the Church of Santa Chiara, near the railway station. The first place is awarded the red flag , the following three the white, green and blue flags, these are the awards that in Venice take the place of medals.
It can get crowded on the Grand Canal as visitors and locals alike watch this colourful event. best to pick out a spot in good time - Note Rialto Bridge and Accademia briges are policed during the races and people are NOT allowed to linger here, must keep walking and pass over. Also the Gondola stations put seating out at extortionate prices - up to 50 euros to sit on a gondola on the Grand Canal for the best views. So my advice is:
pick a good spot that is free to stand at
have a meal in restaurant on the Grand Canal
or makes friends with the owner of a Grand Canal Palazzo!
More Local Customs in Venice (6)
More Reviews (103)
- See All Naval History Museum
- See All Fancy Jackets
- See All Terrific Value Taverna
- See All Airport Service into Venice by water
- See All Ghetto Square
- See All Murano Locanda
sandysmith's Related Pages
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels