"Walking tour from Fira to Oia." Walking Tip by wroclawiak

View from the point close to the Agios Stavros
      View from Agios Stavros
      Approaching Oia
    by wroclawiak

It's one of the most beautiful walking tours I made during my stay on Santorini. The walk from Fira to Oia is very easy and if you keep going close to the caldera you don't get lost.
I was walking for about 4 hours but it was a snail's pace.
It's no matter where you start the walk in Fira. You have to go towards the North to Imerovigli. The way is not signed but the churches could be your orientation points.
You can start from the church Moni Katholikon in Fira, then pass by Agios Gerasimos and Moni Agios Nikolaos and the next one - Panagia Maltesa is in Imerovigli. From Imerovigli to the Moni Profitis Ilias (317m) is a good donkey road. You will already see the white-blue church in Imerovigli. From Moni Profitis you have to walk down to the point where the path meets the road. Then walk up to the hill Megalo Vouno (329 m). Keep close to the Caldera. You will see the church Agios Stavros after one hour walk. The path leeds down to the town of Oia.
Take good shoes and enough water. The best time to sart the walk is 4 p.m.
You can return to Fira by bus.

• Written Sep 12, 2005

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM

indeed, this is the best walking trail in Santorini

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
      Jul 9, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Thank you for all your comments and ratings. I do love Greek Islands and hope to visit Greece again. I schould go to Greece in two weeks time again but I am not sure if I can go because of some troubles I have.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
      Jul 9, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Some problems will hold us back this summer too (maybe we will have holidays in autumn) but ok i cant complain, we live in greece anyway :)

Have you been to Santorini Island?