"TOLBOOTH ART GALLERY" Kirkcudbright Things to Do Tip by hevbell

by hevbell

Tolbooth art gallery
    by hevbell
  • TOLBOOTH ART GALLERY - Kirkcudbright

Next stop is one of the towns most historic buildings, the Tolbooth. Its sits on the High Street where it makes a sharp turn left. Dating from the 17th C it used to be the Townhouse and jail having held at various times John Paul Jones, teh founder of the US navy, on a murder charge, Covenanters during the 1680's and Elspeth McEwan who was later executed for being a so-called witch.

However the inside has now been refurbished and the Queen opened it in 1993 as an art gallery. The top floor houses contemporary exhibitions and we were lucky to see an exhibit by a local artist [if only I could remember his name! Howard something..] of watercolours he painted in France. I LOVED them, so pretty, well painted and just the kind of thing I like. I have to say when it comes to art I'm defnitely no snob, I like what I like and I don't care who painted it or how famous they are! :)

There is also an audio visual that gives an introduction to the towns artsistic history on the first floor and the ground floor has a small shop and cafe. Its all free so well worth a visit.

Don't miss the water fountain outside or the boat shaped weather vein on top of the steeple

Address: High Street