"PACK YOUR MAC' FOR THE MONOLITHS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Packing List Tip by themajor

Avebury What to Pack: 2 reviews and 1 photos

DON'T BE BEFUDDLED BY PUDDLES!
by themajor

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Allow me to state the obvious. We have an expression in the UK that is charming yet illustrative of the fickle nature of the British Summer and the gloomyness of the British Winter. It is..."Nice weather for ducks!" Although we are not surrounded by Sherlock Holmesian fogs 24 hours a day, neither do we yet enjoy the balmy summers soon to be foisted upon us by global warming.

In Avebury, although there is a small museum housing archeological finds, everything you will want to see is outside and open to the elements. The taller stones may offer a little shelter from a keen wind but it's better to be prepared with a mac and brolly than sit inside a coach or car trying to 'experience' the stones through a misted up windscreen. I mean, is there any greater joy than staying droll and dry whilst the masses scatter back to their vehicles in panic?! I think not!! (By the way, don't bother looking for a duck pond..there isn't one).

• Updated Sep 8, 2005

Comments

themajor

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Have you been to Avebury?