"Safety precautions at the lakeside stage" Top 5 Page for this destination Bregenz Favorite Tip by Nemorino

Bregenz Favorites: 22 reviews and 26 photos

1. Diver getting ready

1. Diver getting ready
      2. Diver in readiness
    by Nemorino

Favorite thing: Since the stage is completely surrounded by water, there is always the possibility that one of the hundreds of people involved in the production might fall in.

Of course they all have to know how to swim. I don't know if there is actually a swimming test, but in 2002 I was told that one of the singers had to take swimming lessons before she was allowed to set foot on the stage.

As a precaution, though, at least two trained and fully equipped divers are posted on the shore throughout each performance. Because I was sitting in the corner seat in the first row in the lower left hand corner one night, I was able to get these two pictures of one of the divers getting herself and her equipment into place for the evening.

Second photo: Diver in readiness.

Update August 7, 2013: Last night a performance of Mozart’s Magic Flute was interrupted for half an hour when a boat carrying the Queen of the Night, Monostatos and Sarastro overturned and they were all dumped into the water. The two divers on duty immediately swam to their rescue, which was very necessary because of the costumes they were wearing. As the Queen of the Night tweeted a few minutes later: “It was definitely one of the most terrifying moments of my life…. We are all glad it didn’t end worse!!…. Two rescue swimmers dragged me to the rescue boat- I couldn’t move my legs with the three skirts… my wet costume kept dragging me down. … Actually COULDN’T swim with three skirts, two layers of bodice, two mic units and a heavy horned helmet on!!”

After half an hour they all went on with the show.

(I wasn’t there but I know one of the singers, Alfred Reiter, who is an ensemble member at the Frankfurt Opera.)

Next: Troubadour Act 1 Scene 1

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 7, 2013

Comments

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Bregenz?