Hamburger Mary's: "Best Cheeseburgers in Cincy!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Restaurant Tip by BeatChick

Cincinnati Restaurants: 162 reviews and 305 photos

• Joan! - Cincinnati
      Universal Grille's eclectic retro décor
      Universal Grille
    by BeatChick
      Jeff, who LOVES the Violent Femmes!
    by BeatChick
      Sandye holding my b-day present!
    by BeatChick

Formerly known as Hamburger Mary's, then changed to Universal Grille, now Hamburger Mary's again, this is one of my FAVORITE places in town! Located near the Hamilton Co. library downtown, they serve THE best cheeseburgers (they are wonderfully charbroiled) in all of Cincy, trust me. AND they are a gay-friendly place. My friend, John, mentions that most are gay-owned, which makes for a fun, frothy visit!

HM's is a chain resto originally started in San Francisco, and this place merely changed it's name but has the feel of the former. You'll find the place to be wonderfully kitschy & eclectic while the staff is warm & welcoming. Joan is an eccentric character who's dress ranges from stylish & chic to natty, who will always ensure that your dining experience is memorable.

My dear departed friend, Sandye, and I LOVED this place. It became a tradition for us to dine here & sip their $3 glasses of excellent champagne before our visits to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.

Mr. Connolly joined me here before our jaunt to see the VIOLENT FEMMES at McFadden's last July and he agreed that the ambience was very cool.

Sign up for the newsletter & you'll get promotional coupons for reduced dinners & drinks (yee-haw!).

UPDATE 9/20/05:
Sandye & I came here Friday night before the opening of the symphony to celebrate my b-day! Naturally, good times were had by all, much champagne was imbibed & she gifted me with a signed copy of Nigel Kennedy's "The Kennedy Experience" CD which covers Hendrix songs using a jazz violin ensemble - too, too cool! Thanks, Sandye!

Favorite Dish: Blue Boy Cheeseburger (a 1/2 pound charbroiled bacon cheeseburger topped with bleu cheese dressing & fresh bleu cheese crumbles - this one is DIVINE)
Mary's Club Sandwich
Olé Onion Rings (fanTABulous!)
Potato Salad
Fruit Salad Cup
$3 cheapo glass of SUPERB champagne (remember to ask for the $3 glass or you might get something more expensive)

Photos: July & September 2005

Address: 909 Vine Street
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Corner of 9th & Vine catty-corner to the Hamilton Co. Public Library
Phone: (513) 381-6279
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: American

• Updated Nov 15, 2009

BeatChick Used To Live Here!

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Cincinnati?