"Jasper - Horseshoe Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Things to Do Tip by kymbanm

Province of Alberta Things to Do: 159 reviews and 239 photos

horseshoe lake views
by kymbanm

Before leaving Hinton for the park, I talked with the Visitor Center folk ... THEY insisted I add this little walk to my itinerary today .... and boy, am I grateful they did!

Horseshoe lake has a small pull out on the east sidt of Hwy93 ... no room for larger campers or tour coaches .... PERFECT.

I wandered onto the main trail from the parking lot and at the bottom of the lake, I came to a fork ..... hmmmmmm. The trail is there, the stairs and bridges are there, but there is not a trail sign to be seen, and some sections of trail are far from obvious. The lake itself is cliff lined and a considerable amount of the trail crosses exposed rock slabs along the lake's shore.

I chose the left fork, which turned out to be the least cared for path, but so fun as I crawled up and about the rocky cliffs along the lake's circumfrence.

From my upper vantage point, it appeared that the right fork takes one along the other bank of the lake and further away than I went on my walk.

Either choice works in my opinion ... the lake is beautiful, not many folks about, the water is soooooooo clear ....... you can even see the canoe launch which washed away from shore about 10 years ago .....

Directions: Drive south of Jasper on the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) for 27km, the parking lot is on the left (east) side of the road. There is a picnic table, a privy and a garbage can in the parking lot.

• Written Sep 3, 2005

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to Province of Alberta?