"Banff National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Things to Do Tip by kymbanm

Province of Alberta Things to Do: 159 reviews and 239 photos

Moraine Lake
by kymbanm

There are several theories as to the origin of the name Banff. The one I find most resonable can be traced back to an employee of the Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR). This man was responsible for naming stations across the route. In 1883, he named the station in this region the Banff Station. Now, if you look at some of the station names during this timeperiod, you will notice a pattern .... Scottish Place names. Since the CPR Land commissioner John MacTavish was originally FROM Scotland ........ it seems that any stations being placed in areas without a current name, were provided with Scottish place names. Since the railroads were the lifeblood of these regions, as the towns grew, they frequently took on the name of their train stations. Just take a look at a map of Canada, and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Though I tried to go to the sites most well known ... I also wandered off the beaten track a bit .... OK, so Moraine Lake may not exactly be a true orphan location in the park .. it is one that many individuals may choose to skip if time is short. I, luckily, did not make the same mistake :)

I ended up with less than a day to explore Banff, so I didn't see all that there is to see .. actually all of the parks in the region are so large and spectacular, I think you could live there forever and still not see everything there is to see .... really ....

• Written Sep 3, 2005

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to Province of Alberta?