"See the glow-worms" South Island Things to Do Tip by sunshinejo

South Island Things to Do: 122 reviews and 227 photos

There are a number of places that you can see glow-worms in New Zealand, and quite a few companies do tours taking you rafting through caves to see them. Louise and I went to see them at the Glow-worm Dell in Hokitika. I've never seen anything like this before, so it was really cool walking up to the dell and seeing all this little sparkly lights around us. Having said that though, I was also very glad that I didn't pay for the experience, as I think I'd have felt pretty ripped off! Whether the reason that it's freeand other dells aren't is because it's not as good as others, I couldn't say, so that might be something worth looking into. And I guess that if you go on one of the guided tours then you get to enjoy the activity too. Obviously, this is something that needs to be done after dark, so bring a torch with you as it's not well lit.

Address: Just off Highway 6, Hokitika
Directions: As you travel north out of Hokitika on Highway 6, the glow worm dell is on the right hand side of the road. There's a little lay by for you to park in, and a sign telling you about the glow-worms.

• Written Sep 1, 2005

“Time won't wait for you, so do all the things you want to do! - Jamiroquai”

Have you been to South Island?