Barn Backpackers, Marahau: "Spend a night in a teepee!!!" South Island Hotel Tip by sunshinejo

South Island Hotels: 22 reviews and 43 photos

Me relaxing by our teepee, Barn Backpackers
by sunshinejo

Throughout my travels I was regularly faced with the question "Where's the most interesting place you've spent the night?", and Barn Backpackers provided me with an answer - in a teepee! OK, so I guess you could say that it's just a glorified tent, but Louise and I still thought it was pretty exciting! If you do want to stay here then it's a good idea to book ahead to guarantee yourself a space - we didn't and had to spend our first night camping. The teepee was pretty basic, but we didn't care. We stayed in one that sleeps 2 people, although there's also a larger one for bigger groups. There were 2 mattresses on the floor, made up with sheets and duvets, a candle and a big stone slab to put it on. Outside there were 2 patio chairs for sitting on. If you don't like camping and don't fancy the teepee, then they also have some dorm accomodation, although again, you need to book in advance.

Unique Qualities: The facitlities here are pretty basic - they have kitchens - an outdoor one for the campers and another in the main house for guests staying in the dorm rooms. They sell basic supplies in reception - milk, loo roll, snacks and those handy little campers meals. They also have rather overpriced internet access and a payphone. The main seller for Barn Backpackers is the location - it is quite literally right on the edge of the Abel Tasman National Park, and it will take all of about 2 mins to walk to the start of the track. On top of this, the owners are really lovely and friendly, they know about the area, and can give advice on things to do, and walking the Abel Tasman Coastal Track.

Address: Barn Backpackers, Hervey Road, Marahau
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: I can't remember exactly how we got here, but I do remember getting lost! (even though Marahau is TINY!) Might be worth calling ahead to get directions! Sorry!
Phone: 03 527 8043
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Updated Aug 31, 2005

“Time won't wait for you, so do all the things you want to do! - Jamiroquai”

Have you been to South Island?