Petite Abeille: "Why no one should eat at Petite Abeille" Petite Abeille Tip by sexyFood

Petite Abeille, New York City: 4 reviews and 3 photos

Unless you like disrespectful and inept service paired with bad food, find another place to spend your money.

I went to the Petite Abeille at 134 West Broadway and was severely disappointed. I ordered a hamburger, medium rare, and my girlfriend ordered mussels. The hamburger arrived, and I waited for the staff to serve my girlfriend before I started eating. The mussels didn?t come.

After a few minutes, I decided to get the attention of the waiter to see if he had forgotten. Before I could ask him, he told me it would be a while before the mussels arrived. I looked at him, and before I could ask why the two dishes didn?t come out at the same time, he answered ?they?re boiling.? I was clearly not pleased, and he only made things worse by telling me I should start eating because he didn?t want my food to get cold.

When the mussels finally did arrive, they just weren?t good. They were very small, and tough. (My hamburger, by the way, was much closer to well done than medium rare.) In addition, my girlfriend wanted an appetizer size portion but the waiter brought a full size. Admittedly, we didn?t specify appetizer size or main dish ? but no one ever asked.

When I paid the bill I asked to see the manager. He apologized for the service and told us some story about the mussels were from Canada so he couldn?t control their quality. This was by no means reassuring to either of us ? if he doesn?t have confidence in the quality of his food, he shouldn?t be serving it.

He offered to take some money off the bill, but I was too annoyed by the meal too accept. How could a waiter think it?s okay to make smart remarks if a customer isn?t happy with the service? How could the manager think it was okay to blame someone else for the poor state of his shellfish?

As I explained to the manager I didn?t have a problem with the price, just my exceptionally bad experience eating in his restaurant.

Why should I ever go back ? and after reading this, why should anyone else?

Address: 134 West Broadway
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: 44 W 17th St., 401 E 20th St. & 134 W Broadway
Phone: (212) 791-1360
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 1
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 29, 2005

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to New York City?