Restaurant De Roode Leeuw: "Damrak's Dutch Dud" De Rode Leeuw Tip by vtnyc

De Rode Leeuw, Amsterdam: 6 reviews and 8 photos

restaurant dining room, not brasserie dining room
by vtnyc

Supposedly this restaurant is one of the leading members of the Neerlands Dis. I could be mistaken, but this doesn't mean the restaurant has won awards for fine gourmet cuisine, it just means the restaurant serves traditional dutch cuisine. The Neerlands Dis divides its restaurants into the Netherlands 12 districts and this restaurant is 1 of 2 in Amsterdam.

Despite all this fanfare, I found the restaurant --not the brasserie--food to be a disappointment. I had the 3 course menu for 29.50 euros. Here you compose your own 3 course meal from cold and hot appetizers, main courses, chef's specialties like meat or fish and desserts.

I had started with the home made farmers pate with gherkin and tomato marmalade. Then went to the "Chef's Specialty" sauteed duck breast with glazed legg, morels, and beetroot sauce. For a dessert I finished with the apple tart.

The pate was good. The duck breast was so tough to chew I couldn't swallow some bites, and how could anyone mess up an apple tart?

The service here however was outstanding and I have to give credit where credit is due. My server was Peter and he did a phenomenal job. Most of the clients were hotel customers or businessmen conducting meetings.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favorite dish here and if you want really good dutch cuisine, i'd recommend Five Flies above here. Its a 10 minute walk from here and worth it.

Address: Damrak 93-94

Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive”

Have you been to Amsterdam?