d'Vijff Vlieghen: "Gourmet New Dutch Cuisine" d'Vijff Vlieghen Tip by vtnyc

d'Vijff Vlieghen, Amsterdam: 8 reviews and 15 photos

New Dutch Cuisine in French influenced form
      New Dutch Cuisine in French influenced form
    by vtnyc
      the bottled water has their private logo on it
    by vtnyc
      oh boy, oh boy...look at this dessert!
      nice interior decor...
    by vtnyc

I think food is like wine. There is no "correct" choice as far as which wine is best for you. Its a personal thing really. And I know that VTer factor15 from London will disagree with me here, but the food at five flies was delicious and by far the best I had in Amsterdam.

I did the 5 course tasting menu for 44.25 Euros. Each dish was unveiled with an artistic visual flare and each bite was equally sumptuous. The five plates: veal tartare, Poultry liver (pictured), filet of rabbit, suckling pig, and a super delicious strawberry sorbet. I also ordered their bottled water which came in their own private Five Flies label for 3.95 euros and had a glass of El Portillo malbec for only 4.25 euros.

The rabbit was especially impressive. Many times I've had rabbit before only to bite into a piece of meat as chewy as a piece of leather. The rabbit here was tender Fillet of saddle of rabbit with deep-fried asparagus, glazed shallots,
broad beans and creamy jus--very good.

Dutch cuisine isn't generally world famous for the quality of its food, but Five Flies head chef Rene Cramer gives Dutch food culinary excellence with a modern French influenced form using organic ingredients as much as possible.

The service at the restaurant was equally impressive. I wrote an email requesting a reservation. Within 1 day they wrote back and the tone of their letter was VERY cordial thanking me for my reservation and wishing me well during my stay in Holland. The server was equally knowledgeable about the food and asked if I was allergic to any ingredients or averse to any substances.

Ambiance wise, they have 9 separate dining rooms in 5 canal houses decorated with artifacts from Hollands Golden Age--including 4 original Rembrandts. No music was played and the other patrons were 40-60 years of age--at least in the dining room I was in.

Of all the restaurants I went to in Amsterdam during my 7 night stay, this will be the one I WILL RETURN to when I visit again.

Favorite Dish: End your meal with some Dutch gin including the restaurants own version.

Address: Spuistraat 294-302
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: The Old Centre: New Side

Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.thefiveflies.com

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive”

Have you been to Amsterdam?