"Heaven and Hell all in one day!" Moscow Hotel Tip by Michael_D

Moscow Hotels: 313 reviews and 295 photos

Heaven and Hell...in one day.
by Michael_D

PETER ASSURED ME he had a lady that he stayed with EVERY TIME HE VISITED MOSCOW! COOL huh? Well 18 hours, 2 metros and 20 slammed doors later we had still not located HIS FRIEND that he STAYED WITH ALL THE TIME. IF you are keeping score that is 3 missed trains, $50 saved by not getting a visa, possible jail time if caught, 10 hotels I couldnt check into and an entire day wasted searching for a friend Peter ALWAYS stayed with we never did find.

I was spent physically and emmotionally. It was 38 degrees. Hotels from The Rossia to Izmailova had sent me packing and I just ate my last can of Chef-Boyardee beefaroni. Its midnight...we are shivering in Red square and Im worn out/cold/depressed.

THEN I remember a phone number and address a classmate Paul from grad school at Rutgers sent me. It seems a mutual friend that was at Cornell when I was there happened to be the head of AFL-CIO trade union education programs in Moscow. I called him, got chastised for not calling sooner and(drum roll) was offered a 4 room apartment with a view of the Kremlin.....one of four earmarked for visiting dignitaries...the price?? Free...libre...gratis!!!. ZIP...well actually cost me dinner at Gorbys Pizza Hut. What a deal! If you looked out the window...you could see the gold domes of the Kremlin.

Thus started my oddessy ...and a pattern I called "heaven 'n' hell" because more often than not, between the long lines and red tape, you went through a bit of each every day in Russia.

Thank you Barb and Rudy..you made my trip a gem!

Unique Qualities: <B>If you looked out the window...you could see the gold domes of the Kremlin.<B>

Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: <B>Gogolefskaya...Kropotkinskaya metro stop...right behind the Pushkin Museum.<B>

othercontact: <B>Thank you Barb and Rudy..you
Theme: Other

• Updated Sep 5, 2002

“~Welcome to sunny Florida~”

Have you been to Moscow?