Meeru Island Resort: "Over-crowded, busy, noisy & lousy (Part 1&2 of 4)" Maldives Hotel Tip by Peterthe2nd

Maldives Hotels: 251 reviews and 394 photos

(Part 1 of 4) We stayed in Meeru resort 4 nights at ?Land Villa? in late June 2005. As a frequent traveler, this year alone in the first 6 months I had already traveled with my wife to French Polynesia, Australia, Singapore, and Maldives for leisure. Besides, my job also requires me to travel worldwide frequently. I am not trying to show off, but just to let you know that it's more likely I can give you some unbiased advices and opinions to inform you well what is really good and bad according to our enriched travel experiences; thus you can avoid the bad things that we had experienced before.

Meeru is a big resort, one of the biggest in Maldives, too many people, too packed and too busy, even in low seasons. People are everywhere, the pool, the beaches and the restaurants. You really feel like you are in a summer camp instead of a tropical paradise. You won't get much of attention from the staffs if you are staying in a land villa or standard room unless you are staying in their expensive beach and overwater bungalows. Besides, it's more likely that you have to share the table with some strangers in the restaurants 3 meals a day.

Think twice before you plan to stay in this resort. The reason why you are going to Maldives is to relax, to spend time with your love ones, be yourself and enjoy the sun and beach, definitely not for fighting for a best spot on the beach, not to see some selfish guests pre-occupy the sun benches at the poolside in the early morning with their beach towels, not to have 3 meals a day sharing table with some strangers you don't know, and definitely not the right time to make new friends there. I really don't mind making some new friends, but not on my holiday with my love one in a tropical paradise. Besides, even you make some friends there, probably you are not going to see them or to have contact with them the rest of your life, so why bother to social, to chat and to act uptight during your meals. Let say if you stay there for 5 days with full......Continue on "Unique Qualities"

Unique Qualities: (Part 2 of 4)..... board, you end up having total of 15 meals with some stranger couples on the same table. You have to try to act nice, to talk with them and to socialize with them every single meal. You will be lucky if they don't speak your language at all, but you still won't feel relax.

About the boat transfer to Meeru resort, it is even more ridiculous. When we made the booking through their official travel agent named "Crown Tours (Maldives)", we well informed them in email that we would arrive Male Airport at 10am from other resort, so we arrived on time at 10am and thought that there would be a boat ready for us when we arrived, but we ended up waiting in the Airport for 4 more hours doing nothing but to wait......wait and wait. What we were waiting for was the later flights for more hotel guests to come. They were unwilling to pick up just only two of us since we would only stay at a land villa instead of more expensive beach or overwater bungalow, so they tried to save some boat trips and fuel by making us waiting at the airport for more hotel guests. If you really have to stay in this lousy resort, you have to cross your fingers and hope that there would be a lot of passengers in your flight would stay at Meeru too, otherwise I am afraid you would just end up like us waiting couple of hours at the airport for more hotel guests to come at the later flights. We lost our patience while waiting after 3 hours since the hotel representative at the airport kept lying to us that the boat was being re-fueled at Male or the boat was on the way coming, but it didn't come. They even said they would compensate us by giving us an one way boat transfer refunded or late check out, but they were lying. They lied and ate their promises; we didn't get anything from the hotel or the travel agent.

Meeru is not a good place for snorkeling; the house reef is too far away from the island. You have to join their snorkeling boat trip either launched by the hotel or the diving center, but of course you......continue

Address: North Male Atoll
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel

• Updated Aug 27, 2005

Ranked Member

Have you been to Maldives?