ANTALYA: "Modern Turkish Restaurant Hosts Tour Groups" Russian Cuisine Tip by starship

Russian Cuisine, Saint Petersburg: 136 reviews and 147 photos

Lunch at Antalya
by starship

Our first day in St. Petersburg we were on a day long tour and lunch was included. We stopped quite early, probably 11:30a.m. to have lunch at a restaurant called "Antalya." The restaurant was located on a busy street, across from an apartment block, in a modern, rotunda-style building which housed shops, perhaps a hotel and other eating establishments. After entering the building, we climbed a few steps, then crossed a polished, marble bridge spanning a pool with fountains to reach the second floor where the restaurant was located. It was fairly obvious that this was a new establishment because although the facilities were nice & new, there were no distinquishing features and the place had no charm what-so-ever. It was basically a very large room which obviously catered to tour groups. That being said, the stafff did an admirable job delivering our food still hot, and the owners were pleasant enough. I guess I was expecting a restaurant that perhaps looked Russian!

High up near the ceiling on one column was a ceramic symbol to ward off the evil eye and so I was thinking that the owners were of Turkish decent combined with the name of the restaurant; when I asked to purchase a rather unique glass on our table, the owners made a present of it to me!

Favorite Dish: We had a very nice mixed salad, followed by a bowl of tasty onion soup; then a hot dish of buttered potatoes, and a chicken dish with something like scalloped potatoes with cheddar cheese which was probably something like Chicken Kiev. It was quite tasty. There was also a basket of bread which was not regular sliced bread, but more of a fried pita. Dessert was one scoop of vanilla, and one scoop of chocolate ice cream. I believe they served us coffee and bottled water as well.

I think the restaurant did an outstanding job of delivering a hot meal to a very large group of people! Perhaps after they become more established, the owners will be able to add more decorative detail to their restaurant! Though spacious, clean & well lit, the restaurant lacked a certain warmth.

Address: St. Petersburg, Russia
Comparison: N/A
Directions: I have not yet been able to find the name of the building this restaurant was in.
Price: N/A
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Sep 22, 2008

Comments

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?