"See Hippos at Lake Baringo Club" Kenya Things to Do Tip by no1birdlady

Kenya Things to Do: 393 reviews and 566 photos

Hippo and Egrets in the edge of Lake Baringo
by no1birdlady

This lodge sits on the shores of Lake Baringo, a very large fresh water lake. The rooms are in individual cottages spread out along a grassy area along the lake. The hippos come up into this grassy area to feed after dark. Nice lawn mowers! Because of this they have guards who walk you to your cottage to protect you. The first night we saw hippos about 8:30 when we were finishing dinner. They are so large. In the mornings you sometimes see them along the shallow lake. One afternoon we hiked around the lake looking for birds. There were a lot of "hippo holes" in the soft mud by the lake. There are rather large deep holes caused by their feet sinking into the mud. The mud dries out leaving the water-filled holes. Most holes can be seen and we were all trying to be very careful to avoid the holes but I stepped on what looked like a grassy clump and it gave way. I found myself with one leg up to my hip in a muddy hole. It took two men to pull me out of the sucking mud. I was fortunate I didn't hurt my leg. But I was covered with black stinking mud and I was hoping it was all mud! There are trees between the lake and the grassy area which were very good places to see small birds such as the Jackson's Golden-backed Weaver and Little Weaver who came to a bird feeding station the lodge has set up. We went to Baringo Cliffs from here and saw White-faced Scops Owl, Lead-colored Flycatcher, and Bristle-crowned Starlings among others. The food here is good and we were close enough to come back for lunch so didn't have box lunches while here. That's a good thing.

Address: PO Box 47557,Nairobi
Phone: 221146

• Written Aug 22, 2005

“Expectation keeps you young. I wonder what will happen when I kiss this frog?”

Have you been to Kenya?