"Taxis" Lisbon Transportation Tip by antistar

Lisbon Transportation: 530 reviews and 681 photos

Taxis in Lisbon are so cheap it is tempting to grab one for every journey you make.The downside is that none of the ones I encountered spoke English, and they only seemed to know the way to the most obvious destinations. I found having a map of my hotel printed out to give to them helped me out immensely. Speaking Portuguese doesn't help here, either, just in case you thought it might. We had the same problem with my Portuguese friend as I had on my own.

All the taxi drivers I met were very friendly, and they all used the meter. I didn't feel once like they were considering to rip me off, but you will want to be on your guard as everywhere. The drivers are, however, borderline insane. The driving of most Lisbonites is erratic, to put it politely, but the taxi drivers will give you a white knuckle ride. You might want to consider the fact that Portugal has the worst road safety record in the EU before getting in one :).

Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Aug 22, 2005

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Have you been to Lisbon?