Olde Hansa: "Medieval Delights" Olde Hansa Tip by cheekymarieh

Olde Hansa, Tallinn: 42 reviews and 63 photos

Poor man's caviar
by cheekymarieh

As it was my friends birthday we decided that Olde Hansa would be a perfect setting for the celebration meal. The staff have medieval costumes on and there is piped music which supposedly has a medieval theme (but could be likened to some Irish music).

We were seated outside on the terrace in front of the restaurant. Fortunately it has an awning covering it as the heavens opened just before we had finished our meal. A word of warning, sit in the middle tables as opposed to the outisde ones as you may feel rain on your back as I did until I changed seating position.

Favorite Dish: The pig skin menu at first looks daunting but once you look carefully you realise that there are not hundreds of dishes to choose from.

For starters, Ruth and I chose Neptunes Feast which was described as salmon eggs, Andalusian fish, smoke- grilled salmon, herring, quail eggs, castle?s fresh cheese, herb-bread with nuts, rye bread with smoked ham. I enjoyed the look on Ruth's face when she tasted the salmon eggs for the first time.

During the holiday, I intended to try different foods and I certainly managed that with the main course. I had sausages ... but not just any old sausages! These were made from bear, wild boar, elk, figs and almonds. I can highly recommend them.

To wash the food down with I sampled the light cinnamon beer. Again I picked something that was a little bit different. It came served in earthenware mugs.

Address: Vana turg 1, Tallinn
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Just off the Main Square
othercontact: Email: reserve@oldehansa.ee
Phone: +372 627 9020
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.oldehansa.com

• Updated Aug 21, 2005

“Life's Too Short To Sit At Home”

Have you been to Tallinn?