"Key West - 1894" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Off The Beaten Path Tip by grandmaR

View from porthole in the tower

View from porthole in the tower
      Key West lighthouse
      Houses near the lighthouse
    by grandmaR
      Looking down from the top
      Navy Base antennas?
    by grandmaR

When we were first in Key West, I painted the lighthouse - it was one of the first of my oil paintings. I was pregnant with my third child. One day when I was sitting their painting, I fainted. My teacher caught me.

The Key West lighthouse tower was originally 46 feet high and powered by 15 oil lamps with 15-inch reflectors, but was extended to 86 feet in 1894 (second photo). The lighthouse was deactivated in 1969, right after I painted my picture. It is now a museum and it has now be painted white - unlike when I did my picture when it was yellow.

Visitors can climb 88 iron steps to the observation deck which affords spectacular views. In 2005, when we were staying in Key West, I climbed the lighthouse for the first time. I had been resisting it, but I saw a photo in the Martello tower museum that showed Fort Taylor from the top of the lighthouse, and I wanted to see that too. So I climbed, and climbed. When I got to the top, a doctor asked me if I was having a heart attack. But I wasn't.

After I rested, I took some pictures of the surrounding area (photos 3-5), but I couldn't see Fort Taylor - I did see cruise ships, antennas and Hemmingway's house.

Website: http://www.kwahs.com/lighthouse.htm

• Updated Mar 7, 2007

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to United States of America?