"St. Johns River (Mayport) Lighthouse 1859" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Off The Beaten Path Tip by grandmaR

St. John's River Lighthouse
      St. John's River Lighthouse
      Crooked picture
      Blurry AND crooked
    by grandmaR

This old lighthouse sits on United States Navy property. This lighthouse was deactivated in 1929 and replaced with another lighthouse.. Originally within the town of Mayport, the land became a military base during the WWII era. When the base was built, the land was raised about 20 feet and filled to make stable runways. The base of the lighthouse including the door is buried underground. The outline of the oil house roof can still be seen on the side of the lighthouse just to the left of the tree above the fence. Access is through a window.

I found the story of this lighthouse intriguing, so we went to visit it. We had no problem getting onto the base because my husband is retired military. Non-military visitors probably need to contact the base in advance to arrange for a pass.

This is one of the few pictures where I managed to get the lighthouse straight. Plus I had dropped grease on the camera lens, so there was a blurry section in each photo that I took that day until I realized I had a problem and cleaned the lens. Anyway, we could see the outline of the oil house quite clearly, but it doesn't show well in this picture.

A newer lighthouse was built about 2 miles southeast of this one. I didn't realize that it was also on the base, and I didn't get a picture of it but the URL below has one.

Efforts are underway through citizens of Mayport to have this lighthouse brought back into the realm of the community. From a heritage tourism standpoint, the lighthouse is an important element of the community.

Website: http://www.bansemer.com/florida_lighthouses/st_johns_light-station_lighthouse.htm

• Updated Sep 3, 2005

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to United States of America?