Ward's Pharmacy: "Old Fashioned Soda Fountain" Ellisville Restaurant Tip by Small_World

Ellisville Restaurants: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Ward's Soda Fountain
by Small_World

I hadn't seen a soda fountain in a drugstore since I was a child, so I was delighted to discover this one. Looks like it is a gathering place for local men to catch up on coffee and conversation.

Back when I was a little girl, a soda fountain was the place to go out on a date...I still remember girls in full skirts, looking up flirtingly over an ice-cream soda at handsome young men in sweaters and slacks. I couldn't wait to grow up and do the same...

In keeping with the story of my life (you know, like how when I was a freshman, only seniors could have good parking; when I got to be a senior, they allowed freshmen to have equal parking as seniors...), when I became a teenager, drugstores no longer served fountain drinks...but hey, full skirts are coming back in style...and I'm starting to enjoy other "senior" privileges, so maybe things are looking up. :-)

As with every store I entered in Ellisville, the owners and clerks welcomed me as if I were their best friend, and I felt as if I'd known them my whole life.

Favorite Dish: I actually didn't have anything to drink. I'd just had coffee at the Alice Cafe (read more about that on the Alice Cafe page), and I was too distracted by the atmosphere to realize I could actually have a drink here.

What a delightful step back in time.

Comparison: about average
Directions: Next door to the Alice Cafe, downtown Ellisville
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Aug 14, 2005

Comments

Small_World

“There's no place like home . . . can't wait to find it.”

Have you been to Ellisville?